- 1.5 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1.5 teaspoon Ground coriander
- 5 Cloves garlic chopped finely
- 2 cans chopped tomato or 3 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup Red Lentils
- pinch cayenne powder
- 1 can coconut milk Full fat for a creamier soup - lite coconut milk for a more compliant batch
- 1 cup kale coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 cup Cilantro chopped
- Sauté ginger, garlic, cumin and coriander seeds in 3-4 tablespoons vegetable broth stirring constantly until fragrant. Add more veggie broth if necessary to prevent spices from burning or sticking to the pan.
- Add carrots, tomatoes and turmeric, stirring together until ingredients are well assimilated. Add lentils and 3 cups of vegetable broth to the pot and bring it to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. Stir periodically.
- Once the lentils are soft kale, and cilantro and bring the pot back to a simmer. Add more water if soup has become too thick. *May be served as a lentil curry over rice, rather than soup.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk
- Stir well and adjust seasonings as necessary
- If you wish to add salt, I recommend adding it to the soup once it's in a bowl and ready to eat (rather than cooking with it).
This dish can be prepared as a soup (adding extra water at the end to thin) or a lentil curry sauce to be served over rice. Either way, it's delicious. I just love saving my grains for another time of day and this soup is so filling alone - You won't miss the rice!
Leave A Comment